Saturday, August 13, 2016

Starting the Year off Right with Classroom Design

I am dedicating this first post of the 2016-2017 school year to sharing my classroom design. I have heard it referred to as "Flexible Seating", "Starbuck's Classroom", and "Classroom Cribs." I call it "Best Decision I Ever Made!" 




I first became intrigued with this type of seating when I visited a future ready charter school last January. They were using flexible seating in several of their classrooms. That means that traditional desks were gone. In place of desks were tables, floor seating on pillows, low tables with balance balls to sit on, couches, etc. It made the room so much more inviting and less sterile. It inspired me to make that change in my own classroom. I did just that a few weeks later after I did some additional research on it. The students loved it, and I loved it, so I  continue to use it.

I am at a new school and district this year. Fortunately, they are supportive of my unusual choices in student seating and work spaces. 





I warn you though, this is labor intensive if you do it all yourself, which I did because it was in February when I first changed, instead of the beginning of the year. Since I am at a new school this year, I was able to have the custodian move out all the desks and bring in some tables. 

Also, you need some shelving or "cubbies" to hold each student's books and pencil box. Last year I had plenty of built-in shelves. This year I had to buy cubbies (see under the whiteboard in the picture below). 


There is a financial cost to replacing traditional seating that the district is not likely to reimburse you for, so see what furniture your school and district have in storage first. My new school had these awesome round tables. I left two at regular height, raised one to pub height, and lowered one all the way down for pillow seating. I also found the coffee table in their storage. The rectangular table is a standing work space. The futon was an old one I brought from home.


I shop at thrift stores and yard sales. My local thrift store gave me 20 pillows and pillowcases. Pillowcases are a must so you can wash them every couple of weeks. They do get really filthy. You will also need several clipboards or lap boards.  

Have a floor space for direct instruction, but keep it short 15-20 min., then send them to their work/learning spaces in random order so all students have a chance at claiming that "favorite" spot. My students are set up in teams of four and as partners, so they go with their team. Since you bring them back to the floor space each time for instruction, then send them back out to a work space, they are moving about often. Movement promotes learning.





3 comments:

  1. I think this looks awesome and I applaud your courage to make the change. I'd like to make the change to a more flexible arrangement. It is really helpful hearing how you manage the space and allow for fair choice. I am sure I will come back to this post as I slowly wade into creating a more flexible working environment for my students. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOlA, ESTOY INTERESADA EN CONOCER MAS DEL PROYECTO, PORFAVOR ESCRIBEME, ES PARA UNA COMUNIDAD EN OAXACA, AFECTADA POR UN SISMO. GRACIAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you see teachers in China who arrange his(her) classroom like these by teachers him(her)self some day (in the future) , then I bet that our country's education has really made progress !

    ReplyDelete